Friday, August 12, 2011

EXTRACT: CH 17 Torpedo



“It’s … not for a special occasion …,” he said. 

“Must be a special something, if you suddenly decided to try smoking a cigar for no good reason,” replied Tony throwing his hands up. 

“What can I say, I woke up today feeling like Neil Armstrong, I want to try something new,” said Ravi. 

“Okay, my friend. We're gonna fly you to the moon.” 

“I like that,” said Ravi. Then he looked away, unable to hide a smile from the stranger. He stared across the street at the long café-style window, where he would shortly be meeting her. He checked his watch. The man aimed one eye at him and said nothing for a long while. 

“Must be a new girlfriend?” 

Ravi smiled. “What does Neil Armstrong smoke?” 

The man was intrigued. If it were any of his regulars, they would almost certainly be bragging about some made up exploits with a bevy of blondes in a hotel room. “You're sure no new girlfriend?” he asked again. 

Ravi shook his head once more. 

“Hot blonde maybe? Maybe two,” he said, intentionally trying to embarrass him in a joking sort of way. 

Ravi blushed. “Nothing like that,” he lied. “Please I’m a rabbi ...” They shared a smile. They nodded together. 

“Okay,” he said. “I get it, rabbi. Your secret’s safe with me.” 

Ravi turned to leave. 

“Wait! Here,” he said putting three cigars in a brown packet. “Neil Armstrong smokes these, Montecristo No4, and they’re perfect training wheels … for you … on the house … from me … Tony,” he said handing him the packet.

No comments:

Post a Comment